Residents evacuated after 5th floor Albany fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Residents evacuated after 5th floor Albany fire

Residents were relocated after the fire (Source: WALB) Residents were relocated after the fire (Source: WALB)
Officials say the fire started on the 5th floor of the building (Source: WALB) Officials say the fire started on the 5th floor of the building (Source: WALB)
Residents were evacuated and relocated (Source: WALB) Residents were evacuated and relocated (Source: WALB)
Evacuees were sent to the gym at First United Methodist Church (Source: WALB) Evacuees were sent to the gym at First United Methodist Church (Source: WALB)
The Red Cross provided meals (Source: WALB) The Red Cross provided meals (Source: WALB)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany firefighters responded to a fire at Hudson Malone Towers on the 400 block of Flint Avenue.

According to officials, the fire started in a kitchen on the 5th floor.

Firefighters have evacuated people to the gym at First United Methodist Church on Flint Ave.

Residents living on the 5th floor of Hudson Malone Towers were temporarily relocated to an activity center near the scene.

There were no reports of injuries.

The Red Cross responded to the scene and provided meals for the evacuees.

Due to the heavy volume of evacuees, volunteers are asking family members in the city to pick up their loved one(s) for relocation.

Fire officials told residents that they would remain in the church for a minimum of three to five hours as they worked on clearing smoke out of the building.

Copyright 2016 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly