Fire caused by vagrants, officials need community's help - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Fire caused by vagrants, officials need community's help

Officials want the public to help identify vagrants staying in vacant buildings. (Source: WALB) Officials want the public to help identify vagrants staying in vacant buildings. (Source: WALB)
Investigators said that vagrants set a sofa on fire, probably on accident. (Source: WALB) Investigators said that vagrants set a sofa on fire, probably on accident. (Source: WALB)
They could see where the vagrants tried to put the fire out themselves. (Source: WALB) They could see where the vagrants tried to put the fire out themselves. (Source: WALB)
Investigator Sam Harris with the Albany Fire Department (Source: WALB) Investigator Sam Harris with the Albany Fire Department (Source: WALB)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany Firefighters are asking the community to report vagrants living in vacant buildings to help protect those vagrants.

Firefighters said that around 2:20 Tuesday morning a fire was started in a vacant building in the 1000 block of West Gordon Avenue just off South Slappey Boulevard.  

Investigators said that vagrants set a sofa on fire, probably on accident.  

They could see where the vagrants tried to put the fire out themselves.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, but they said people living in vacant homes put themselves in danger.

"These things occur, and we need the public to help us. And to help code enforcement. When they see these people going into these structures, so we can try to do something to prevent it," said Investigator Sam Harris with the Albany Fire Department.

In Albany, anyone who suspects vagrants are living in a vacant building can call 311 to report it.

Copyright 2016 WALB. All rights reserved.    

Powered by Frankly