Officials warn residents after two homes damaged by electrical f - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Officials warn residents after two homes damaged by electrical fire

Officials warn Albany residents after two homes caught fire due to electrical issues. (Source: WALB) Officials warn Albany residents after two homes caught fire due to electrical issues. (Source: WALB)
Investigators said that two window air conditioners overloaded the 1940 era home's electrical system. (Source: WALB) Investigators said that two window air conditioners overloaded the 1940 era home's electrical system. (Source: WALB)
Sam Harris (Source: WALB) Sam Harris (Source: WALB)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany firefighters are warning owners of older homes to check their electrical systems which could be overloading because of the hot weather.

They said Monday's fire that destroyed Johnny Massey's home on Mitchell Avenue was caused by an electrical short at the panel box.      

Investigators said that two window air conditioners overloaded the 1940 era home's electrical system. 

There was a similar fire Saturday on South Madison.

"During that era there were no air conditioning units in windows. There were no computers. There were no monster refrigerators. And thus the systems get overloaded, and you have fires," said Investigator Sam Harris with the Albany Fire Department.

Firefighters said that if residents have an older home, they should have an electrician check the wiring system to make sure it can handle today's electrical appliances.

Copyright 2016 WALB. All rights reserved.  

Powered by Frankly