Albany city employee saves resident from house fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Albany city employee saves resident from house fire

An East Albany family is safe following a fire in their home, thanks to an Albany Utilities worker who was in the right place at the right time. (Source: WALB) An East Albany family is safe following a fire in their home, thanks to an Albany Utilities worker who was in the right place at the right time. (Source: WALB)
East Albany resident Tameika Jones (Source: WALB) East Albany resident Tameika Jones (Source: WALB)
Albany Utilities technician Torian Washington (Source: WALB) Albany Utilities technician Torian Washington (Source: WALB)
Jones said she feels like Mr. Washington is her brother now. (Source: WALB) Jones said she feels like Mr. Washington is her brother now. (Source: WALB)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

An East Albany family is safe following a fire in their home, thanks to an Albany Utilities worker who was in the right place at the right time.

"I'm just blessed, I'm thankful, I'm so thankful, thankful, thankful because I almost lost my family and my home," said Tameika Jones.

Jones said she has a hero, Albany Utilities technician Torian Washington.

"It made me feel good that I was able to help out, no bad news or someone being put out of a home," said Washington.

Around 11 on Friday morning, Jones's stove caught on fire due to an electrical shortage.

Luckily, Washington was servicing another home three doors down and happened to have a fire extinguisher.

"At first I was thinking when she said house on fire I was thinking that might have been too big for me to tackle but," said Washington.

He gave it his best shot.

At the time, Jones's two daughters, a 3-month old grandbaby and a 3-year-old granddaughter were in the home.

"Tory Washington saved my life today, me and my kids life today," said Jones.

It took about 5 minutes to put out the flames.

"Thank God he was here, I had my fire department, that's my fire department today," said Jones.

Washington checked the home to make sure it was safe then went back to work.

Jones said she feels like Mr. Washington is her brother now.

Because of his quick-thinking, Jones's had this message for the public.

"There are some good people out here, it doesn't matter where you live at. What street, the struggle you go through just stay humble with these people because they can save your life one day," said Jones.

Jones contacted the manufacturer of the stove and said someone is scheduled to check it Monday.

Copyright 2016 WALB. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly