Source of ASU fire identified - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Source of ASU fire identified

Firefighters put out a fire at the ASU maintenance shed. (Source: WALB) Firefighters put out a fire at the ASU maintenance shed. (Source: WALB)
Investigator Sam Harris (Source: WALB) Investigator Sam Harris (Source: WALB)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Firefighters said that ashes from a charcoal grill are to blame for Friday's fire at Albany State University, which caused $100,000 in damage.

Friday morning, the maintenance shed at Albany State went up in flames.  

Golf carts and lawn equipment were damaged in the fire, but no one was hurt.

Investigators determined that ashes from a charcoal grill were thrown in a trash can, sparking the blaze.

Firefighters warn that grillers should use care when disposing of charcoal and ashes.

"The ashes continue to smolder for up to several days. And when you think they are out, and you throw them into the trash can, and they become exposed to oxygen again, they will ignite," said Investigator Sam Harris with the Albany Fire Department.

Firefighters said that before disposing of grill ashes, people should soak them completely in water.

Copyright 2016 WALB. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly