Palmyra Rd. apartment ruined by kitchen fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Palmyra Rd. apartment ruined by kitchen fire

Albany Firefighters again urge people to stop cooking late at night, because too often it results in house fires. (Source: WALB) Albany Firefighters again urge people to stop cooking late at night, because too often it results in house fires. (Source: WALB)
The family started cooking food on the stove, but fell asleep, sparking a fire.  (Source: WALB) The family started cooking food on the stove, but fell asleep, sparking a fire.  (Source: WALB)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany Firefighters again urge people to stop cooking late at night, because too often it results in house fires. 

Firefighters said that was the case about 4 Wednesday morning when an apartment in the 500 block of Palmyra Road was heavily damaged by fire.

The family started cooking food on the stove, but fell asleep, sparking a fire.  

Fortunately, Tasha Snead and three other residents escaped unhurt, but remain displaced.

AFD officials said this is near the top of list of causes of fires they respond to.

"You are tired. That's not a good mix. Because you will drift off to sleep. In this case that's what happened, and the result was a fire," said Asst. Chief Rubin Jordan of the Albany Fire Department.

The Red Cross was called in to aid the displaced family.  

Firefighters also urge all South Georgians to make sure they have working smoke detectors in their homes.

Copyright 2016 WALB.  All rights reserved.   

Powered by Frankly