Pelhman family evacuates home after cooking fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Pelhman family evacuates home after cooking fire

A family was displaced after a house fire in Pelham on Tuesday. (Source: WALB) A family was displaced after a house fire in Pelham on Tuesday. (Source: WALB)
Pelham Firefighter William Patrick (Source: WALB) Pelham Firefighter William Patrick (Source: WALB)
Officials said that a cooking fire started the blaze. (Source: WALB) Officials said that a cooking fire started the blaze. (Source: WALB)
PELHAM, GA (WALB) -

A cooking fire was the cause of an early afternoon blaze on Tuesday that destroyed portions of a Pelham house.

The Pelham Fire Department said the fire was reported around 1:30 p.m in the 4300 block of Shingle Road.

When crews arrived, they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the chimney and the attic. When they entered the house, crews discovered the fire originated in the kitchen.

Officials said that a cooking fire started the blaze, causing significant damage to several rooms of the house.

There were no reported injuries.

Officials warned residents about checking their fire alarms.

"If they need batteries replace them. If the smoke detector just doesn't work replace the detector. Replacing a 10 dollar smoke detector is a whole lot cheaper than replacing a house," said Pelham Firefighter William Patrick. 

The fire department also warned residents about leaving food unattended while its cooking.

The Red Cross responded to help the family get temporary housing.

Copyright 2016 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly