Pelhman family evacuates home after cooking fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Pelhman family evacuates home after cooking fire

A family was displaced after a house fire in Pelham on Tuesday. (Source: WALB) A family was displaced after a house fire in Pelham on Tuesday. (Source: WALB)
Pelham Firefighter William Patrick (Source: WALB) Pelham Firefighter William Patrick (Source: WALB)
Officials said that a cooking fire started the blaze. (Source: WALB) Officials said that a cooking fire started the blaze. (Source: WALB)
PELHAM, GA (WALB) -

A cooking fire was the cause of an early afternoon blaze on Tuesday that destroyed portions of a Pelham house.

The Pelham Fire Department said the fire was reported around 1:30 p.m in the 4300 block of Shingle Road.

When crews arrived, they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the chimney and the attic. When they entered the house, crews discovered the fire originated in the kitchen.

Officials said that a cooking fire started the blaze, causing significant damage to several rooms of the house.

There were no reported injuries.

Officials warned residents about checking their fire alarms.

"If they need batteries replace them. If the smoke detector just doesn't work replace the detector. Replacing a 10 dollar smoke detector is a whole lot cheaper than replacing a house," said Pelham Firefighter William Patrick. 

The fire department also warned residents about leaving food unattended while its cooking.

The Red Cross responded to help the family get temporary housing.

Copyright 2016 WALB. All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • SWGA summer feeding programs

    SWGA summer feeding programs

    Tuesday, May 22 2018 1:21 PM EDT2018-05-22 17:21:25 GMT
    Summer feeding program (Source: WALB)Summer feeding program (Source: WALB)
    Summer feeding program (Source: WALB)Summer feeding program (Source: WALB)

    Organizations, churches, and others across southwest Georgia now have summer feeding programs available. While most students are happy to be out of school for the summer, some go hungry when they don't have two guaranteed meals that they would normally receive from their schools.

    More >>

    Organizations, churches, and others across southwest Georgia now have summer feeding programs available. While most students are happy to be out of school for the summer, some go hungry when they don't have two guaranteed meals that they would normally receive from their schools.

    More >>
  • Broken headlight leads to major drug arrest

    Broken headlight leads to major drug arrest

    Tuesday, May 22 2018 12:25 PM EDT2018-05-22 16:25:10 GMT
    Preston Fields (Source: Coffee Co. Sheriff)Preston Fields (Source: Coffee Co. Sheriff)
    Preston Fields (Source: Coffee Co. Sheriff)Preston Fields (Source: Coffee Co. Sheriff)

    A man already on probation sentence for marijuana and cocaine is back behind bars after officers found cocaine, marijuana, and suspected ecstasy during a traffic stop.

    More >>

    A man already on probation sentence for marijuana and cocaine is back behind bars after officers found cocaine, marijuana, and suspected ecstasy during a traffic stop.

    More >>
  • Albany announces sanitary sewage spill

    Albany announces sanitary sewage spill

    Tuesday, May 22 2018 11:23 AM EDT2018-05-22 15:23:30 GMT
    The Flint River at Albany, just North of the Broad Avenue bridge (Source: WALB)The Flint River at Albany, just North of the Broad Avenue bridge (Source: WALB)

    The city said the sanitary sewer overflow went into the east bank of the Flint River, just south of the Oglethorpe Boulevard bridge.

    More >>

    The city said the sanitary sewer overflow went into the east bank of the Flint River, just south of the Oglethorpe Boulevard bridge.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly