Freezer causes house fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Freezer causes house fire

(WALB image) (WALB image)
Sam Harris (WALB image) Sam Harris (WALB image)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

The Albany Fire Department says an outdoor freezer is to blame for a fire that destroyed an East Dougherty County house.

It started around 1:15 this morning in the 200 block of Ramsey Road, and it took around 16 firefighters nearly 45 minutes to get it under control.
       
A mother and her two children made it out safely.

The fire department has advice for others with outdoor freezers. "Just be cognizant of it. Make sure that you don't put stuff around the motor. Remember, everything needs to breathe," said Albany Fire Investigator Sam Harris.

Harris says the high temperatures force the motor to work harder. The family also lost a car in the fire. 

Copyright 2016 WALB.  All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly