TERRELL CO., GA (WALB) - Investigators released the names of the people arrested in illegal gambling raids.
Multiple agencies surrounded gas stations in Dawson and Sasser as part of a commercial gambling investigation.
Agents arrived at the convenience stores Tuesday morning, and quickly blocked access to the buildings.
Agents arrested 11 people in total:
- Patel, Hemant, 48, of Leesburg
- Patel, Shilpaben H., 40, of Leesburg
- Patel, Dip H., 19, of Leesburg
- Patel, Ashokkumar Jivabhai, 46, of Dawson
- Patel, Amrish P., 47, of Dawson
- Patel, Rameshbhai, 50, of Dawson
- Patel, Santoshkumar, 32, of Dawson
- Darji, Nandubhai, 44, of Dawson
- Chaudhari, Prahladbhai, 44 of Dawson
- Patel, Manshukhlal, 46, of Dawson
- Patel, Joinyp, 42, of Dawson
They executed six search warrants in conjunction with the Georgia Lottery Corporation for violations of Georgia's commercial gambling laws.
All of the locations were currently licensed to operate Coin Operated Amusement Machines.
However, during the course of the investigation, agents discovered customers were receiving cash payouts for winning credits.
In Georgia, credits may only be redeemed for lottery tickets and/or store merchandise.
Search warrants were executed at the following business locations:
- Citgo Station, 321 S. Main Street, Dawson, GA
- Dawson Food Mart, 125 Graves Station Road, Dawson, GA
- Budget Inn, 609 E. Forrester Drive SE, Dawson, GA
- Boomerang Food and Fuel, 1920 Albany Hwy., Dawson, GA
- USA Gas, 182 Hwy. 82, Sasser, GA
In addition to the businesses, a home in Lee County was searched. Officials said that homeowner owned four of the businesses in question.
According to agents, they seized everything they believed the owner bought with the gambling money.
The gambling raids just seven months after agents last raided convenience stores in Terrell County for the same violations.