ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Workers discovered the fire on the working face of the landfill about 6:40 Monday morning.
The Albany Fire Department supervised as county workers pushed dirt on the fire.
Another portion of the landfill was opened so customers could dump away from the fire.
The fire damaged at least two methane pipeline wells.
It's not clear when they can be repaired and reopened.
Solid Waste Director Scott Addison said "How long the fire smoulders. It has to be safe because we will have to excavate around the wells. So we want to make sure the fire is out. Right now it will just be a guess."
The Marine Base said the fire had no effect on their operations.
Officials hope to have the fire out Monday evening.
The cause is undetermined, but the solid waste director says they occasionally see batteries and electronics overheat and spark trash fires.