Fire blamed on poorly connected plug - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Fire blamed on poorly connected plug

(WALB image) (WALB image)
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Firefighters want South Georgians to know that poorly inserted electric plugs could start a fire.

A fire broke out in Morningside Assisted Living Center in the 1700 block of Beattie Road about 1:45 Saturday morning. 

Investigators say an air conditioning unit's plug was not pushed all the way into the outlet, causing it to short out the plug, and spark a fire.

"It causes heat to generate there, and thus can cause a fire. What we would like to do is re-emphasize that when you plug things in, push them all the way in so you get a full contact," said Investigator Sam Harris Albany Fire Dept.      

The fire at Morningside was put out by an employee with a fire extinguisher, doing only fire damage to the wall and air conditioner. 

But firefighters urge you to make sure you devices are plugged all the way in completely.

Copyright 2016 WALB.  All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly