SYLVESTER, GA (WALB) - Even though Irene P. Hall passed away in 2014, she will continue to watch over the city's youth.
For six months, the city worked on transforming a once flooded area along West St. into a place where community members can spend their free time.
"The closest park to this area would be Jeffords Park which is across Highway 82, so now people in this area will be able to come to this park and not have to cross the highway," Downtown Sylvester Director Jana Dyke says.
Through flood mitigation and financial assistance, the city was able to elevate the property and turn it into the park.
The park is named after a woman who dedicated herself to the Sylvester community.
Hall was born in Sumner, Georgia, in 1930. She began work at Worth County Hospital in 1951 and worked there up until her retirement in 1997.
However, even long after retirement, Hall continued to dedicate herself to the city.
Those who knew Hall say she never met a stranger, loved her town, and had a passion for young people.
"This is just a small token for what she gave us," Dyke mentions.
On Saturday, April 23, the city will host a grand opening for the new park from 12:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m.
During that time, the city will officially dedicate the park to Hall. There will also be a tree planting ceremony and a ribbon cutting.
Hotdogs and hamburgers will be served for lunch and bounce houses will be available for the kids.
The Irene P. Hall Park is located at 610 West St. in Sylvester.