Stove fire ruins apartment - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Stove fire ruins apartment

(WALB image) (WALB image)
Source WALB Source WALB
Source WALB Source WALB
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

An East Albany woman's apartment burns after firefighters say she apparently forgot about her cooking food.

About 10:15 firefighters were called to Jacqueline Whigham's apartment in the 1300 block of Mercantile Drive. 
When they arrived, they spotted smoke pouring out of the apartment.  

They forced their way inside and found flames in the kitchen, but no one home.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, but the kitchen sustained fire and smoke damage.

Albany Fire Department Captain Michael Styles said "Food left on the stove unattended. The occupant however probably left the house with food on, and did not cut the stove off."

The damage to the apartment and her possessions were estimated at $12,000.
 

Copyright 2016 WALB.  All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly