Albany fire victim credits smoke detector for life saving alert - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Albany fire victim credits smoke detector for life saving alert

Source WALB Source WALB
Source WALB Source WALB
Source WALB Source WALB
Source WALB Source WALB

An East Albany woman is crediting her smoke detectors with saving her life and her home Wednesday evening.

Towanna Stokes suffered burns on her right hand, when she grabbed a flaming pan of grease off her stove.
Stokes said she fell asleep with french fries cooking on her stove, and only awoke because her smoke detectors sounded because of the fire.

Her kitchen sustained fire damage, but the early warning helped minimize it. 

Albany Fire Department Investigator Sam Harris said  "Smoke detectors really do save lives. And you should check your batteries and you should make sure that you have operational smoke detectors. If you don't, be smart, and go out and purchase one."

Stokes was transported to the hospital by EMS for treatment of her burns.  

. Copyright 2016  WALB.  All rights reserved         

Powered by Frankly