Schley Avenue fire blamed on short circuit

Schley Avenue fire blamed on short circuit

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - At least four units of the Albany Fire Department responded to  a residential house fire in the 1700 block of Schley Avenue Tuesday afternoon.

The area is near Palmyra Road and the Liberty Bypass.

Firefighters found flames and smoke showing through the roof when they arrived.  There were people inside the home when the fire started,but they escaped unharmed.  Firefighters suspect the fire started in the attic, where they had to battle the blaze.

Acting Battalion Chief Bobby Spargo said "They are hard to get to until you can get ceilings pulled and all.  And of course it always adds a little added danger when you got the fire above you. But the guys did a real good job so far making he stop on the fire."

The cause of the fire was traced to an electrical short in a light socket in the attic.

Copyright 2016 WALB.  All rights reserved.