Dougherty Co. working to secure funds for safer roads - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Dougherty Co. working to secure funds for safer roads

Dougherty County is working to get improvements done to make roads safer. (Source: WALB) Dougherty County is working to get improvements done to make roads safer. (Source: WALB)
Some roads are on a list of priority roads to get rumble strips to help slow drivers as they approach the intersection. (Source: WALB) Some roads are on a list of priority roads to get rumble strips to help slow drivers as they approach the intersection. (Source: WALB)
Harry James (Source: WALB) Harry James (Source: WALB)
DOUGHERTY CO., GA (WALB) -

Dougherty County hopes to secure enough state funding to make $275,000 in road safety improvements.

The intersection of Old Pretoria Road and Leary Road has been the scene of serious accidents over the years.

This road is second on the list of priority roads to get rumble strips to help slow drivers as they approach the intersection.

"Getting those new markers is great for old Pretoria and 62 because we have had a lot of serious accidents at those locations," said District 5 Commissioner Harry James.

The county is submitting a list of 34 safety improvements on roads across the county.

The funding, if approved by the DOT, will come from the local maintenance and improvement grant.

Georgia DOT will pay for 70 percent, and the county will use sales tax revenue to cover the remaining 30 percent.

Copyright 2016 WALB. All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • breaking

    Dougherty Co. Commissioners cancel Lee Co. hospital CON lawsuit

    Dougherty Co. Commissioners cancel Lee Co. hospital CON lawsuit

    Monday, June 18 2018 6:44 PM EDT2018-06-18 22:44:20 GMT

    Dougherty Co. Commissioners dismissed their own lawsuit against the Georgia Department of Community Health after months of cumulative litigation. Commissioners filed a notice of the voluntary dismissal Monday in Fulton County court, canceling the lawsuit.

    More >>

    Dougherty Co. Commissioners dismissed their own lawsuit against the Georgia Department of Community Health after months of cumulative litigation. Commissioners filed a notice of the voluntary dismissal Monday in Fulton County court, canceling the lawsuit.

    More >>
  • Dougherty Co. employment turnover rate rising

    Dougherty Co. employment turnover rate rising

    Monday, June 18 2018 2:31 PM EDT2018-06-18 18:31:41 GMT
    Commission as a whole discussed budget for over an hour (Source: WALB)Commission as a whole discussed budget for over an hour (Source: WALB)
    Commission as a whole discussed budget for over an hour (Source: WALB)Commission as a whole discussed budget for over an hour (Source: WALB)

    On Monday commissioners learned that for the 2018 calendar year the employee turnover rate is trending at 24%, or nearly one-quarter of employees leaving. 

    More >>

    On Monday commissioners learned that for the 2018 calendar year the employee turnover rate is trending at 24%, or nearly one-quarter of employees leaving. 

    More >>
  • Dougherty Co. commissioners narrow options for budget

    Dougherty Co. commissioners narrow options for budget

    Monday, June 18 2018 2:26 PM EDT2018-06-18 18:26:11 GMT
    County Commission Chairman Chris Cohilas gives input on fiscal year 2019 budget talks. (Source: WALB)County Commission Chairman Chris Cohilas gives input on fiscal year 2019 budget talks. (Source: WALB)
    County Commission Chairman Chris Cohilas gives input on fiscal year 2019 budget talks. (Source: WALB)County Commission Chairman Chris Cohilas gives input on fiscal year 2019 budget talks. (Source: WALB)

    Time is running out for Dougherty County Commissioners to organize their budget for fiscal year 2019. On Monday, commissioners discussed fifteen potential options for millage rate increases.  

    More >>

    Time is running out for Dougherty County Commissioners to organize their budget for fiscal year 2019. On Monday, commissioners discussed fifteen potential options for millage rate increases.  

    More >>
Powered by Frankly