ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Albany fire investigators believe vagrants started a fire at a vacant house on West First Avenue.
Firefighters say flames were shooting out of the home when they arrived about 6:30 p.m. Monday. Investigators say the fire started in the bathroom on the North side of the house.
Inside they found vagrants had set up beds and had food, cigarettes, and liquor in the burned rooms.
Firefighters say they are concerned by the dangers in these type of fires.
"It becomes a danger not only to the firemen putting the fire out, it becomes a danger to those people," said Albany Fire Department Investigator Sam Harris. "We're very concerned about people getting hurt inside these vacant houses."
Firefighters urge neighbors to call 911 to report vagrants living in vacant homes.