BEN HILL CO., GA (WALB) - Sheriff Bobby McLemore confirmed that 26-year-old Richard Knight died while in the jail's custody.
According to the sheriff, Knight was stopped by the Fitzgerald Police Department around 10:00 Sunday morning for a seatbelt violation.
He was taken to jail for a suspended license. He told inmates that he swallowed about two or three grams of Meth before getting arrested.
Jail officials said that had the inmate told them he swallowed those drugs, they would have pumped his stomach.
"If we know about it ahead of time, we can go ahead and put them in observation. Go ahead and get medical looking at him. If they have to, we can go ahead and take them over to the ER and get the doctors involved," said Major Greg Stokes with the Ben Hill County Sheriff's Office.
He died Monday morning from an overdose.
The jail staff and EMS worked on Knight for a while but could never revive him.
Knight nor any of the inmates ever told jail officials that he swallowed the drugs.