BAINBRIDGE, GA (WALB) - Bainbridge Firefighters want to make sure you're safe and warm this winter.
Firefighters say they've fought three fires in the past couple of weeks started by heat lamps and source heaters. They remind you not to plug them in a power strip if you use them at home.
"They've used extension cords to extend the length of the reach of the heater from an outlet, their not actually plugged into a wall outlet," said Fire Chief Doyle Welch "The heating lamps you have to be careful because the dog can knock it over and have an electrical shortage and hit too close to combustibles and catch the bedding on fire."
Officials say if you need to change the batteries of your smoke detectors in your home or if you have a smoke detector that needs to be installed, they will do that free of charge.