Careless smoking sparks fire in South Albany home - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Careless smoking sparks fire in South Albany home

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Careless smoking is ruled the cause of an early morning fire in a South Albany home.

It started in the central bathroom of the home in the 900 block of Oakdale Court about 3:20 a-m.

Resident Kathy Butt and four other people, including at least two children, were in the home when the fire started.  
 Investigators say smoking material was put into a pile of clothes on the bathroom floor, starting the blaze.

Albany Fire Department Investigator Sam Harris said "It's a tragedy. But all we become complacent over time with no matter what we do. And smoking is just a dangerous thing to be complacent with." 

The fire didn't do much damage.
 The utilities were cut off to the home early, but residents tell us they're being restored, so they won't be displaced.

Copyright 2016  WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly