Heater sparks blaze - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Heater sparks blaze

Asst. Chief Burns Asst. Chief Burns
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Firefighters are again warning people about heater safety, after a South Albany home burned.

Firefighters say a blanket laid on top of a heater sparked the fire inside a bedroom of a home in the 400 block of Dorsett Avenue about 3:30 yesterday.  The fire heavily damaged the bedroom, and smoke damaged the entire home. 

Firefighters urge you to keep anything flammable away from heaters.

"We use the three to five foot range, to keep combustible materials away from a heater.  Including yourself.  A lot of people get burned themselves by being too close to a heater," said Asst. Albany Fire  Chief Sebon Burns.

If you're using a space heater while you sleep, firefighters say you should keep it at least five feet from the bed.
    
The American Red Cross is helping the two residents displaced by yesterday's fire.

Copyright 2016 WALB.  All rights reserved. 

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Two juveniles caught breaking into Valdosta church

    Two juveniles caught breaking into Valdosta church

    Monday, September 25 2017 12:02 PM EDT2017-09-25 16:02:04 GMT
    (Source: VPD)(Source: VPD)

    Valdosta Police responded to a burglary call Sunday morning about 8:30. They saw that someone had broken a window trying to get into the church in the 800 block of West Magnolia Street. 

    More >>

    Valdosta Police responded to a burglary call Sunday morning about 8:30. They saw that someone had broken a window trying to get into the church in the 800 block of West Magnolia Street. 

    More >>
  • ASU appoints director of Center for Faculty Excellence

    ASU appoints director of Center for Faculty Excellence

    Monday, September 25 2017 11:05 AM EDT2017-09-25 15:05:13 GMT
    Dorene Medlin (Source: WALB)Dorene Medlin (Source: WALB)

    The university recently appointed Dorene Medlin as Director for the Center for Faculty Excellence.

    More >>

    The university recently appointed Dorene Medlin as Director for the Center for Faculty Excellence.

    More >>
  • Hot weather can drain life from car batteries

    Hot weather can drain life from car batteries

    Monday, September 25 2017 7:50 AM EDT2017-09-25 11:50:16 GMT
    Car mechanics urge drivers to do routine maintenance under the hood as we go into fall (Source: WALB)Car mechanics urge drivers to do routine maintenance under the hood as we go into fall (Source: WALB)

    Mechanic Tom Gieryic said many people think battery issues arise from cold, frigid weather, but the summer heat can also drain a car battery.

    More >>

    Mechanic Tom Gieryic said many people think battery issues arise from cold, frigid weather, but the summer heat can also drain a car battery.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly