DOUGLAS, GA (WALB) - A Douglas man died shortly after the new year from a fatal fireworks accident.
Sheriff's deputies and EMS were dispatched to the 100 block of Belle Avenue at about 12:20 Friday morning. When officials arrived on the scene, they found that 27-year-old Stephen Goodman had suffered a large laceration to his neck from a firework.
Witnesses at the scene told deputies that Goodman accidentally placed a firework in a tube upside-down, and then lifted the tube above his head. The firework then exploded from the bottom and struck Goodman in the neck.
Goodman was taken to Coffee Regional Medical Center where he later died from his injuries.