Gas leak injures men when they light stove - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

breaking

Gas leak injures men when they light stove

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

There was an explosion at the U.S. 19 Church of Christ about 12:30 Thursday afternoon. Two men were taken to the hospital with burns on their arms, but others nearby were not injured.

Witnesses said they thought that propane gas or LP gas had built up in the area around the stove, and then ignited when they tried to light it.

It appears that one of the gas line joints was not capped. There was very little damage to the kitchen, and the injuries are not life-threatening.

The two men were preparing to light the church stove to do some cooking, when firefighters say they opened the wrong valve.

Albany Fire Department Battalion Chief Kelly Harcrow said "So when he turned it on he actually introduced fresh gas into the kitchen area.  So when they ignited the stove, a flash fire ensued. Burning the two victims inside."

There were actually four people inside the church when the gas exploded.  But only the two men closest to the stove were burned, but they were not thought to be life threatening.  Both men walked to the ambulance to take them to the hospital.

Harcrow said "They were very lucky. And that appears they ignited it fairly quickly.  There wasn't a lot of gas buildup in there. The more gas accumulated of course, it would have been a lot bigger fire. A lot more damage."

The other members of the church did not want to talk to us after the incident, except to say they were thanking God that there were not more people injured.

The fire is still under investigation.  The name of the other victim or their condition from the hospital has not been reported.

Copyright  2015 WALB.  All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • DOCO students prepare for state testing

    DOCO students prepare for state testing

    Sunday, April 23 2017 5:14 PM EDT2017-04-23 21:14:05 GMT
    Students begin state testing Monday. (Source: WALB)Students begin state testing Monday. (Source: WALB)

    Students in Dougherty County are resting their brains Sunday night as they prepare for state testing.  On Monday, all students, grades three through twelve will begin Georgia Milestones testing. 

    More >>

    Students in Dougherty County are resting their brains Sunday night as they prepare for state testing.  On Monday, all students, grades three through twelve will begin Georgia Milestones testing. 

    More >>
  • Volunteer creates new tree debris design

    Volunteer creates new tree debris design

    Sunday, April 23 2017 5:04 PM EDT2017-04-23 21:04:54 GMT
    Tom Gieryic is working on a new design for the scrap trees. (Source: WALB)Tom Gieryic is working on a new design for the scrap trees. (Source: WALB)

    After creating hundreds of crosses from tree debris, one volunteer is getting even more creative here in Albany. Tom Gieryic is working on a new, intricate design for the scrap trees.  

    More >>

    After creating hundreds of crosses from tree debris, one volunteer is getting even more creative here in Albany. Tom Gieryic is working on a new, intricate design for the scrap trees.  

    More >>
  • Tift Community Market faces struggles after January storm

    Tift Community Market faces struggles after January storm

    Sunday, April 23 2017 4:58 PM EDT2017-04-23 20:58:55 GMT
    Tift Community Market runs Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Source: WALB)Tift Community Market runs Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany market is still hurting after the January Storms destroyed it's home base.  Tift Community Market opened for the season in March, but in a new location.  

    More >>

    An Albany market is still hurting after the January Storms destroyed it's home base.  Tift Community Market opened for the season in March, but in a new location.  

    More >>
Powered by Frankly