ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Albany firefighters are trying to figure out the cause of a fire that damaged a 76-year old east Albany woman's home.
Firefighters say flames and smoke were pouring from the home on Don Cutler Senior Drive when they arrived around 11:30 Tuesday morning.
Alice Watson, who has lived here for 48-years, said she was in her bedroom when she heard something explode in the rear of the house.
"Just as quick as it blowed up, the smoke came and came right straight in the back of my room," said Watson. "And I started inhaling it. Trying to get out of the house. I can't hardly walk on one of my feet. And I'm holding things trying to get out. Thank God I made it out."
Firefighters at first suspected a gas leak, but later ruled there was not one.
Watson has insurance, and is staying with family.