Sprinkler system no match for flames in Thomasville fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Sprinkler system no match for flames in Thomasville fire

Irene Spears, previous resident Irene Spears, previous resident
Fire Chief Chris Jones Fire Chief Chris Jones
THOMASVILLE, GA (WALB) -

Investigators now say they know why sprinklers and smoke alarms didn't go off in a Thanksgiving Day apartment fire in Thomasville. The fire started in a mattress on a back porch of the Walnut Apartments.

It spread quickly through the outside of the building into the attic, avoiding detection by smoke alarms inside. Flames also burned through pipes disabling the sprinkler system.

"This fire went undetected for sometime and grew to a very large fire without being detected. So that's why smoke detectors are so important because while we're sleep that smoke detector wakes us up. when there's smoke in our residence," said Fire Chief Chris Jones.

A previous resident who was displaced after the fire says she lost almost everything.

Irene Spears said, "Well its hard, I don't know really what I'm gonna do all I know is right now I'm staying with my daughter and I got stuff in storage,"

Officials are still investigating to determine if someone set the mattress on fire.

Copyright  2015 WALB.  All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly