Deadly fire blamed on food left cooking - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Deadly fire blamed on food left cooking

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

The coroner is still waiting on final tests from the medical examiner to determine the exact cause of death for 27-year-old Joshua Bateman, whose apartment burned Saturday.

Firefighters were called to Windover Apartments about 5:45 Saturday morning.   When they arrived, they found heavy flames coming from the building. 

Bateman's body was found in a spare bedroom. Investigators say it appears he fell asleep after putting food on the stove.

"Undoubtedly he had left it unattended, and probably dozed off.  And thus he was trapped in the apartment and perished," said Albany Fire Investigator Sam Harris.

No one else was injured, but a second person was displaced from a neighboring apartment by the fire damage.     That neighbor is receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.

Copyright  2015 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly