Cairo Fire Department gives details on chemical spill - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Cairo Fire Department gives details on chemical spill

Cairo firefighters spent hours working to contain a chemical spill at a company. Cairo firefighters spent hours working to contain a chemical spill at a company.
Company officials insisted there was never any danger to the public. Company officials insisted there was never any danger to the public.
CAIRO, GA (WALB) -

Cairo firefighters spent hours Friday working to contain a chemical spill at a company in Heritage Industrial Complex.

A safety officer at Big Bend Agri Services said a small amount of vinegar overflowed from a new tank that had been recently installed. The company blamed the problem on a faulty sensor.

The Cairo Fire Department tells a bit of a different story. They said they got a call around 8:30 a.m. from staff at Cairo High School concerned about a strong smell. Once firefighters determined it was coming from Big Bend, near the school, they evacuated the school and nearby homes. It was a student holiday, so no students were there.

Hazardous materials technicians went into the facility. They determined 75 to 100 gallons of liquid organic peroxide spilled. Crews used 5,000 gallons of water to flush the chemical out of the warehouse.

Workers with the city utilities department built a berm to contain the chemical, and crews used around two dozen bags of soda ash to neutralize it and make it safe for the cleanup to proceed.

The evacuation was lifted around 1:00 p.m., and fire crews left the scene about 1:45.

Company officials said there were no injuries and insist there was never any danger to the public.

Copyright 2015 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly