ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Sabrina Carswell is thankful her neighbors are alive after their home burst into flames early Friday morning.
"I was thanking God that no one else was in the house," said Carswell.
The displaced family is now staying with relatives. Firefighters said the fire started on this stove around 5:30 Friday morning when a grease pot got left on.
Luckily, everyone got out alive. Carswell described the tense moments when she saw her neighbor's home on fire.
"I looked out my bedroom window after we heard him say that there was a fire and that's when I saw the fire coming from the backside of his home," said Sabrina Carswell.
The frightening incident started with knocks on her door but quickly escalated.
"All of a sudden we heard knocks at our windows that became louder and louder and then we heard our next door neighbor unfortunately of course saying that his house was on fire," said Carswell.
The stove fire had already quickly engulfed the back of the home.
"But then the fire just started to spread, and like come towards the front--just a whole ball of fire with the house or what have you," said Carswell.
Everything inside was gone. Bikes, clothes, and kitchen appliances are all charred remains.
Firefighters quickly got the situation under control.
"That time of the morning, when people are asleep, things can happen. Thank God nothing happened in this situation," said Fire Investigator Sam Harris with the Albany Fire Department.
Four of the five residents were not home, and the one at the home got out safely.
"He still has his life so even though there is that dark cloud, there is a silver lining. No lives were lost so that's the main thing," said Carswell.
That's something Carswell and many others are taking comfort in moving forward.
The Red Cross is assisting the family with clothes and food. If you would like to help the family, you can donate to the red cross.