ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Fire crews responded to the 500 block of Clark Avenue, near Church Street, after a gas line was hit.
A motor grader was working on the road surface on Mulberry Alley, when it came into contact with the gas pipe, and some natural gas leaked out.
Firefighters say they think heavy summer rains uncovered the gas pipe. "We get there, secure the area, and if we have to we will evacuate. Because we know that gas ruptures can be catastrophic," said Asst. Albany Fire Chief Rubin Jordan.
The gas line was repaired in about an hour. Firefighters say utility crews are working to bury it deeper, to prevent another grader hit.
Officials said the pipe was not ruptured, but was disturbed enough to release a small amount of gas, which will dissipate into the air.