Family of 5 escapes fire that consumed duplex home - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Family of 5 escapes fire that consumed duplex home

Officials said a fire broke out around 8 p.m. Sunday night at a home on Jim Stokes Court. Officials said a fire broke out around 8 p.m. Sunday night at a home on Jim Stokes Court.
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

A family of five is looking for a place to stay after a fire caused extensive damage to their home.

Officials said a fire broke out around 8 p.m. Sunday night at a home on Jim Stokes Court.

According to a report, a man was cooking when an unattended item caught on fire. He tried to put out the flames with some salt, but was unsuccessful and burned his hands in the process.

He and his family ran out of the home and called 911 for help.

Firefighters later arrived and put the fire out, but said the home had heavy smoke and fire damage.

The Red Cross is helping the family as they work to find a new place to stay.

Copyright 2015 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly