Joe Samuels lives in one of the rooms in 509 E. Hill Ave. with his children. Samuels was the one who put out the fire. "It started from down there," Samuels said, as he stood in the kitchen looking down at the spot on the floor next to the back door where the fire started. "This black bag was hanging right there."
"When I came out the room, it was just the flames coming up from out the bag. So, then I came out the room and I put the fire out." He filled a pot with water and poured it on the fire to douse the flames.