Albany burn victim's injuries ruled accidental - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Albany burn victim's injuries ruled accidental

Investigators now say an Albany man, mysteriously burned in March, accidentally set himself on fire.

39-year old Michael Chapman suffered severe burns on most of his back and arms March 29th inside this home on Dervan Street and was in a coma in the Augusta Burn Center for weeks.  

After the incident, Chapman's family told WALB News Ten they believed he was attacked.

Investigators recently spoke with Chapman in the hospital and say he admitted he accidentally set himself on fire in the kitchen.


Investigator Sam Harris said "Mr. Chapman stated that some grease had splashed on his shirt, and he had backed up to the stove, and it set his shirt on fire."

The Albany Fire Department ruled Chapman's injuries accidental and closed their investigation.

Copyright 2015 WALB.  All rights reserved.            

Powered by Frankly