VPD: hotel fire was caused by occupants' attempt to make meth - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

VPD: hotel fire was caused by occupants' attempt to make meth

James Clinkscales James Clinkscales
VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) - Valdosta Police said late Wednesday that the fire that broke around noon Wednesday in room 243 at Inn Town Suites on Baytree Rd. was caused by the occupants' attempt to make meth.

According to the release from VPD, the fire broke out in the bathroom. As of 5 p.m. Wednesday, 30 year old Angel Howell and 33 year old Edward Cowart were charged with possession of meth and possession of items with the intent to make meth.

Howell was detained at the scene for questioning but released a short time later. She was arrested later Wednesday afternoon after officers arrested Cowart and determined what had happened.

According to police, Cowart fled the scene after the fire. Details on his arrest were not immediately available Wednesday evening.

Firefighters had the fire put out shortly after arriving on scene and were able to contain it to the room where it started.

"Do have smoke and fire damage throughout the suite. Everybody was able to evacuate. approximately 60 people that was evacuated from the suites here," said Valdosta Fire Marshal Cpt. James Clinkscales.

Approximately 60 residents in the hotel were evacuated as a precaution when the fire broke out, but as of 5 p.m. Wednesday were being allowed to go back in.

Copyright  2015 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly