LEE CO., GA (WALB) - A teen who was seriously injured in a gunpowder explosion Wednesday was listed in good condition at Tift Regional Medical Center Thursday night.
15-year old Benjamin Whiddon's family posted a picture of him on Facebook, saying his foot was nearly cut off, but that he is expected to recover fully.
The Lee County Sheriff's Office said Whiddon was putting gunpowder in a pipe when it exploded.
The family also says surgery saved part of his thumb and index finger.
Emergency officials have since expressed that they will see more similar injuries once fireworks become legal in Georgia.
"We just want the parents to be mindful that those things are explosives," said "They can do some physical damages as well as structural damage, if things go wrong."
Whiddon's family said they are grateful for the miracle that Ben is alive, calling it "such a close call."