AFD investigates Industry Av. cardboard fire

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Units of the Albany Fire Department were called to a fire in the 1400 block of Industry Avenue, in the old Jamison Bedding building around 9:00AM.

Firefighters said someone is storing rolled up cardboard inside, and they were about to ship it out. AFD thinks the fire accidentally started in one of the rolled up bundles, by spontaneous combustion.

Battalion Chief Keith Ambrose said the fire was under control in less than 10 minutes, and the sprinkler system in the building saved the building's owner and firefighters a lot of work.

Fire crews are dragging out the cardboard now to hose it all down. The damage was minor outside of the three bundles that were burned.

The street runs between South Slappey Blvd. and Westtown Road.

Copyright  2015 WALB.  All rights reserved.