ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Albany Hospital emergency doctors and firefighters are teaming up to teach people to prevent fireworks and burn injuries.
Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital and the Albany Fire Department will host a burn symposium at the Flint RiverQuarium Friday night.
With fireworks now legal in Georgia, emergency room doctors say they expect the number of injuries to increase, and hope to prevent many with education.
"In my career, of course, lots of fireworks injuries I've seen. And the people use the wrong kind of fireworks. And what's especially bad in the heat, using substances like drugs and alcohol when you play or use fireworks," Phoebe Emergency Medical Director| Dr. James Sirleaf.
Firefighters will also be at the burn symposium teaching prevention for home fires and burns, the third leading cause of home fatalities. The Symposium will be at 6:30 tomorrow night at the Flint RiverQuarium.