THOMASVILLE, GA (WALB) - After a fire that critically injured a Thomasville man Thursday, firefighters encourage you to install smoke detectors in your home.
Albert Brown, 64, was taken to the burn center in Augusta after accidentally lighting himself and his home on fire.
Firefighters said here were no smoke detectors in the home.
They'll install smoke detectors in homes, at no cost.
Assistant Fire Rescue Chief Mark E. Sealy said, “We've been trying to do this for year. Trying to get a smoke detector in ever home in the city of Thomasville. And they are available through Red Cross too, and to the people of Thomas County and surrounding communities.”
They've installed more than 100 detectors in the past month.
If you need a smoke detector installed in your home, or if you'd like to donate, call the Thomasville Fire Department at 229-227-7015.