Unattended food causes Valdosta house fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Unattended food causes Valdosta house fire

VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) -

A Valdosta mother and her three children were displaced from their home as of Friday morning after one of the children accidentally caught the home on fire.

The fire broke out at 1612 Lexington Cir. around 5:15 p.m.

The fire department said her teenage son was heating up some oil on the stove to cook some chicken nuggets and left the stove on while he went to the bathroom.

When he came back, the oil had caught fire. The fire was primarily contained to the kitchen, but the rest of the home did receive smoke damage.

As of Friday, damage was estimated at around $10,000. No one was hurt and the Red Cross was assisting the family.

Copyright  2015 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly