LOWNDES CO., GA (WALB) - The Lowndes County Fire Department continued Wednesday to investigate a fire that destroyed around 25% of a family's home.
The fire broke out in the garage of the home at 5088 Cypress Lake Dr. just after 4 p.m. Tuesday. The residents were home at the time, but were able to get out safely.
As of Wednesday morning, Firefighters believed sparks from equipment in the garage started the fire. "I think the homeowner was trying to jump off a car," said Lowndes County Public Information Officer Paige Dukes. "Maybe sparks came into contact with some other substance in the garage. So, that is what, right now, the evidence points to as far as a cause of the fire."
At least two vehicles and a seadoo were also heavily damaged in the fire.