Lightning burns Fitzgerald house - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Lightning burns Fitzgerald house

FITZGERALD, GA (WALB) - A Fitzgerald home caught on fire due to a flash of lightning Sunday.

The homeowner says the fire started in the attic. He tried to put it out with an extinguisher but could not.

Both Ben Hill and Irwin County volunteer firefighters tried to put out the fire, even with the pool water at the residence, but couldn't either.

The homeowners just thankful for those who try to help them put out the fire and all of the support he has received.

"A blessing that so many people cared and showed up to give us support to help us get stuff out of the house in first and foremost the fire put out," said Shannon Vickers.

No one was hurt in the fire, and the homeowner does plan to rebuild.

Copyright  2015 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly