Lightning ignites apartment fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Lightning ignites apartment fire

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - A family of three is displaced tonight after their downtown Albany apartment was hit by lightning during Sunday's storm.

 Lightning struck the roof of the Ashley Riverside apartments in the 300 block of South Jackson Street about 1 o'clock.  

 It sparked a small fire in the laundry room of Apartment 78.

That fire set off the sprinkler system which extinguished the fire before it could spread.


Albany Fire Department Investigator Sam Harris said "Without the sprinkler system we would have had major fire damage.  And because the apartments have a sprinkler system in them, we have approximately $500 worth of fire damage."


 There was heavy water damage to the apartment.

 Cleanup started Monday morning.  

 Joshua Gibson and Talisha Cowan and their family are displaced until the cleanup is complete.

Copyright 2015 WALB.  All rights reserved.            



Copyright  2015 WALB.  All rights reserved.



Powered by Frankly