Tablet blamed for apartment fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Tablet blamed for apartment fire

James Clinkscales James Clinkscales
VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) -

A tablet was being blamed Monday for a small apartment fire that displaced a Valdosta family.

Around 3:45 Saturday afternoon, a fire broke out in the back bedroom of apartment C-7 at the Amelia Apartments apartment complex.

Investigators determined that a tablet that was plugged into the wall and sitting on a mattress overheated, causing the mattress to catch fire. The fire was mostly contained to the bedroom, but the rest of the apartment did receive some smoke damage.

"Tablets get hot, and most tablets need to be in air where they can breathe...the appliance had gotten hot and caused the mattress to officially ignite," said Valdosta Fire Marshal Cpt. James Clinkscales.

No one was home when the fire broke out and no one was hurt in the fire. The Red Cross was assisting the family as of Monday.

Copyright 2015 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly