VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) - A Valdosta company had a couple hundred pounds of pecans less that they could sell Monday afternoon because of a fire.
Around 12:30, a fire broke out inside South Georgia Pecan's warehouse on E. Hill Ave.
Valdosta Fire Marshal Cpt. James Clinkscales said the fire started because someone was using a propane torch carelessly as they were preparing some pallets for shipping.
"Upon arrival, fire was out. Thank God for the sprinkler system that kicked in, but there was heavy smoke damage and water damage from the sprinkler system," Cpt. Clinkscales explained.
The building was evacuated as a precaution, but no one was hurt and employees were able to go back in after the fire.