SYLVESTER, GA (WALB) - A Worth County man is still without a home after a fire destroyed his house last week. The Red Cross is asking the community to help by donating much needed items, such as clothes, shoes, and furniture.
Red Cross member Michael Shivock said the victim, identified as Terry Johnson, lost everything. It was Wednesday night after around 10:30 when a blaze broke out at his home on North Albany Avenue.
When firefighters arrived on the scene the house was fully involved, luckily Johnson was not inside. Sylvester fire officials said he left at least 30 minutes before the fire started.
The Red Cross has provided Johnson with a place to stay temporarily but still needs support from the community to help get him back on his feet.
"They appreciate why we're doing, they did right at the scene that day. They said it was a blessing. And I try to get recovery mode now," Shivock said.
The fire was ruled as an accident. Sylvester fire officials suspect the use of kerosene for a lamp could have started the blaze.
The Red Cross is looking for donations of size 32-34 pants, size large shirts, and size 10 shoes.
To help donate contact Michael Shivock at (229) 395-3576.