House fire displaces family of three - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

House fire displaces family of three

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - A family of three have been displaced after their Albany home went up in flames early Monday. It happened on the 500 block of West Gordon after 4:00AM morning.

Albany fire officials say a log rolled out of a burning fireplace and caught the furniture on fire while the residents were asleep. Heavy smoke and flames filled the rooms and attic. 

AFD crews were able to quickly put out the flames upon arrival. 

"At night you want to make sure your fireplace is out. You do not want to sleep with a burning fireplace. Make sure it is fully out," said Asst. Chief Rubin Jordan.

Firefighters say the family is displaced, and the American Red Cross was called in to provide aid if needed.


Copyright 2015 WALB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly