Forgotten cooking sparks blaze - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Forgotten cooking sparks blaze

AFD's Rubin Jordan AFD's Rubin Jordan
ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Albany Firefighters once again urge South Georgians to stay alert when cooking at night, after a duplex goes up in flames.

Firefighters say about 10:30 Thursday they were called to a duplex in the one thousand block of Davidson Drive. Marcus Allen, his wife, and three young children got out safely, but the home received extensive fire and smoke damage.

Firefighters say food left on the stove unattended burned the entire kitchen; one of the leading causes of house fires in Albany.

"Anything that can maybe remind you, because this is a problem that we have. Fortunately everybody got out safe last night," said Asst. Albany Fire Chief Rubin Jordan.

Firefighters say the fire did an estimated $12,000 in damages. The American Red Cross was called in to aid the displaced family of five.


Copyright  2015 WALB.  All rights reserved.
Powered by Frankly