CRISP CO., GA (WALB) - The Crisp County Sheriff said the work of two brave deputies may have saved the county thousands of dollars. A fire broke out late Wednesday night in the kitchen of the detention center.
Two deputies fought smoke and flames and contained the fire until firefighters arrived. If the fire had spread, it could've cost nearly $20,000 to relocate the inmates.
"Everybody did great but two people especially that grabbed those fire extinguishers and went into that dark room with that fire in an effort to put it out last night went above and beyond what their call of duty is," said Sheriff Billy Hancock.
The fire started in a pile of towels that had come out of the dryer. Sheriff Hancock hopes to cook in the kitchen by tomorrow night.