ALBANY, GA (WALB) - After several cases of entering autos were reported in the Albany area, officials hope they can help people protect their vehicles and the contents inside.
They are providing a list of tips that can help bring an end to what they are calling an ongoing problem.
Those precautions can be as simple as:
- The most common items stolen from vehicles are GPS devices, cell phones, laptop computers, MP3 players, wallets, purses, jewelry and cash. The best advice that can be given is to simply not leave anything in your vehicle in plain sight which you would not want taken.
- Always lock your doors even if you plan to be away from your vehicle for only a minute such as running in to pay for gas. Lock all vehicle doors at home, even if your vehicle is parked in a garage.
- Always be selective of where you park your car and always park in well lighted areas.
- When shopping, always make sure to place purchases in the trunk and out of sight before going to the next shopping area to park.
- Try to maintain a “clutter free” vehicle.
- If you can't park your vehicle in a garage at night and must leave it parked in the driveway or on the street in front of the house make sure you remove and hide your garage door opener. A garage door opener is a key to your home.
Law Enforcement officials stress that the best advice is to not leave anything in a vehicle – or at least in plain sight - that a car owner would not want taken.
Police say there are three elements to every crime: the criminal has to have the ability and desire to commit the crime and the opportunity must be present to do so.
Anyone with additional information on recent entering auto cases is urged to call police or CrimeSTOPPERS at 229-436-TIPS.
Copyright 2015 WALB. All rights reserved.