LOWNDES CO., GA (WALB) - Neighbors of a Lowndes County man who lost his home to a fire over the weekend were planning Monday to come together to help him.
The fire broke out at 2242 Smith St. around 3:45 p.m. Sunday. No one was injured and no people were inside the home when the fire broke out but a neighbor told WALB that the homeowner's dog was inside and was able to get out safely.
A citizen driving down the street noticed the fire and called 911.
Neighbor Terry Conaway said seeing his friend's house go up in flames was hard to take. "It was very traumatic because these people are a strong pillar of our community. But, we gonna all chip in and make sure we do our part to help make sure this process is as easy as possible for the family," Conaway emphasized.
The Red Cross was called in to assist the homeowner.
The fire was still under investigation Monday afternoon, but the fire department was expected to wrap up the investigation Tuesday. Because the fire burned so hot and so fast, the exact cause of the fire was not expected to be able to be determined.