NASHVILLE, GA (WALB) - A burnt out shell was all that remained of the home at 101 Roberts Street in Nashville Monday after a fire broke out in the living room around 11 p.m. Friday night.
69 year-old Johnny Edward Holten died. 10 year-old Dakota Garvitte, his brother, 16 year-old Will Bohanan, and their mother were also inside when the fire broke out. Keith Coleman, Dakota and Will's grandfather, said he freaked out when he got the call Friday night.
"I couldn't understand [their mother], then one of the kids got on the phone and said that the house had burnt and two of the kids were hurt," Coleman recalled.
Dakota and Will were both air lifted to University of Florida-Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Florida, where they continued to recover Monday.
Dakota was burned worse than Will. "His face was all burnt up, he had a burnt right arm. They said his chest was burnt, his shoulders, his back, and he had big blisters all over his face," Coleman explained.
Will escaped the fire by jumping out a window. Coleman said he had third degree burns on both hands and a large cut on one of his hands from jumping out the window. Coleman said he drove from his home in Valdosta to the hospital in Gainesville in less than an hour after learning his grandchildren were being taken there.
"I only had one thing on my mind, that's to be with my grandsons," Coleman said.
Coleman says the family has a long road ahead, but he's confident Dakota and Will will recover.